[svlug] initrd keeps disappearing

Ian MacLure ibm1130 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 5 14:23:52 PDT 2003

     I have a plain vanilla RH7.2 install on a POS PC.
     ( Intel 815, Matrox VC, ... )
     About the only thing controversial at all is that

     I am automounting a /users partition from a file
     server ( and this only recently ).
     I'm kind of stuck with 7.2 for closed source app
     compatibility reasons.
     Problem is that on at least two occasions now I
     rebooted and have been treated to:

     Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init=
     option to kernel.

     What seems to be happening is that the "/initrd"
     directory is disappearing.
     The answer to this is of course:

           Get install CD
           Boot in "linux rescue" mode
           cd /mnt/sysimage
           mkdir initrd
           reboot/remove CD

     Just coincidentally the same thing happened to
     another PC ( a server box ) not 20 feet away this
     morning ( also a 7.2 install on a POS from the
     same bunch of criminals that supplied my
     machine ).

     Any thoughts as to what might be happening and
how
     to prevent recurrences.

     Thanx...

     IBM