[svlug] archival file system?

Bryan K. Watson bwatson at netTracers.com
Mon Aug 4 20:30:22 PDT 2003

This sounds so much like what Novell had available thru Palindrome's HSM
(Hierarchical Storage Management) interface products back in the early
90's...and I think that Seagate was working on something like this too back
then.  I used to use this for auto migration of data to optical libraries in
what is called Near-Line storage (as opposed to on-line storage).  The
Novell server would get a request for a file, and if it was near-line a
pending message would go back to the client while the server retrieved the
file to a cache location.  This would then disappear if no changes were
made, otherwise it would eventually migrate the changed file to the
near-line storage.  This system could use tape, optical, slower hard
disks..whatever.  It worked great!

I would love to see what is being done with this in the Linux
environment....looking forward to some educated replies here.

Here is what I googled on this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=linux+hsm+near+line

 http://www.dm-int.com/hiarc.html

If you are looking for snapshots like a NetApp filer then Sistina has LVM:

 http://www.sistina.com/products.html

...this way you can script your DB's Mail, etc... to pause for a
second....do a snapshot, then resume running and do your backup from the
snapshot.  Anyone out there using this ability?

-Bryan