[svlug] Bringing up two ethernet interfaces on RH 8.0

Steve Hindle steve at itsage.com
Mon Aug 4 15:04:41 PDT 2003

Netgear cards usually use a tulip-type driver, not the eepro driver.  If
lsmod only shows the eepro driver, you might need to load a driver for the
netgear card.

Once the driver is loaded, you need to make sure that the 'interfaces' file
is setup properly for the second card.  On my debian boxes, this file lives
in /etc/network.

HTH,
Steve

--On Monday, August 04, 2003 4:59 PM -0500 Karthik Ramachandra
<kramachandra at mail.unomaha.edu> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>

> I can see the unconfigured interface (eth0)  if I do a 'ifconfig -a'.
>
> When I do 'lsmod',  I can see eepro100 being used by one device.
>

> When I do 'ifup eth0'   ---> I get an error. Unable to bring up eth0,
> check cable...etc
>

> Any pointers...
>

> Regards,
>
> Karthik