[svlug] SMTP Gateway

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Aug 3 12:50:23 PDT 2003

Let the wars begin ;-)

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 04:09:52AM -0400, William R. Lorenz wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> There's plenty of options available, including Postfix and Exim, although
> I still a fan of Sendmail for these kind of things.  All of these MTAs
> will allow you to scan for viruses and such before forwarding the mail
> onto your Microsoft Exchange server, if that's what you want to do.
>
> If you decide to use Sendmail, which I would recommend, you can configure
> a mailertable to forward mail for your domain to any MTA of your choice.
> You can find good information on configuring a mailertable db at:
>
>   http://www.sendmail.org/m4/mailertables.html
>
> For those who like Postfix and Exim, what advantages do you see?

Sendmail has a once a year serious security issue which I haven't seen
in Exim. A repeat of many times before, Sendmail is a dinosaur that
should be gone from Unix world long time ago. Excellent MTAs like Exim
and Postfix will do a better job than Sendmail while being maintainable
by unspecialized system administrators.

It makes no sense (!!!) to torture sysadmins with files that countain
lines like

# SMTP initial login message (old $e macro)
O SmtpGreetingMessage=$j Sendmail $v/$Z; $b

# UNIX initial From header format (old $l macro)
O UnixFromLine=From $g  $d
# strip group: syntax (not inside angle brackets!) and trailing
semicolon
R$*                     $: $1 <@>                       mark addresses
R$* < $* > $* <@>       $: $1 < $2 > $3                 unmark <addr>
R@ $* <@>               $: @ $1                         unmark @host:...
R$* :: $* <@>           $: $1 :: $2                     unmark
node::addr
R:include: $* <@>       $: :include: $1                 unmark
:include:..."
when human readable config file can do the same thing at least as good
if not better. By the way, sendmail zealots, don't give me that macros
story because it doesn't make sense either. I don't need to learn yet
another "language" in order to create a cryptic config file of one
level to another.

It's much easier to explain simple Exim config file to anybody. Logging
and testing with Exim are better also. Exim comes with tool for nice
statistics that provides enough information to handle daily email issues
for the company and has been tested on large sites with thousands of
users on the same machine. Support on mailing list is excellent.

I recently moved email services from a server with virtual domains
running Sendmail 8.9.3. What a relief that was. Sendmail was impossible
to maintain and it would be more complicated to upgrade the server with
the latest Sendmail than switching to Exim.

--
Rafael