[svlug] SMTP Gateway

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Sun Aug 3 01:09:52 PDT 2003

Daniel,

There's plenty of options available, including Postfix and Exim, although
I still a fan of Sendmail for these kind of things.  All of these MTAs
will allow you to scan for viruses and such before forwarding the mail
onto your Microsoft Exchange server, if that's what you want to do.

If you decide to use Sendmail, which I would recommend, you can configure
a mailertable to forward mail for your domain to any MTA of your choice.
You can find good information on configuring a mailertable db at:

  http://www.sendmail.org/m4/mailertables.html

For those who like Postfix and Exim, what advantages do you see?

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Daniel Curry wrote:

> I'm sure this has been covered before, but I am unable to locate it in
> the archives to help me fully solve the challenge at hand.

> I have need to set up an SMTP Gateway, outside my firewall, to protect
> our in-house (please don't flame me, not MY choice) MS Exchange 2000
> server.

> I have the required information for working with the Exchange settings
> and configuration, but am in need of similar for a valid SMTP service on
> a linux box to act as a gateway, and hold-and-forward server, as well.

> After this much is set up, I will be adding wonderful tools for
> anti-spam and anti-viral protection as well.

> Can anyone provide information on how to set this up, direct me to some
> source of documentation for it, or even make suggestions as to which MTA
> I should consider using?

__ __ ___ _| | William R. Lorenz <wrl at express.org>
\ V  V / '_| | http://www.clevelandlug.net/ ; "Every revolution was
 \./\./|_| |_| first a thought in one man's mind." - Ralph Waldo Emerson