[svlug] cryptographically signed loadable kernel module

hendrick h_nguyen3 at hotmail.com
Thu May 30 17:47:45 PDT 2002

thnx alot for your helps.
I am probably only focus on signing/verifying modules. The issue of booting a trojan kernel is for next project :-)
Since sys_create_module() is the kernel routine that will actually loads the module. Therefore I am thinking of  modify the sys_create_module() by adding a MD5 checksum of the insmod() and modprobe() to guarantee the integrity of these programs. If everything ok, then the kernel will continue to check the signature of the module.
Can I create a kernel routine that signs the modules and another routine that verifies the module? or else?
is there anything else that I should consider ?