[svlug] mail client

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu May 30 01:05:44 PDT 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002 23:17:13 -0700
Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Give me something with the flexibility of MH that is IMAP based and
>> I'll listen.  Till then, forget it.

> I know it's absurd/unrealistic but my statement as applied in my
> twisted world means that MH should use IMAP, not that you shouldn't
> use MH.

The problem there is that much of the MH semantics are based on a local
FS based store for messages, and much of the flexibility comes along
with that expectation.  MH is unusual in this regard -- but then MH
really is unlike all other MUAs in its basic approaches.  Nothing else
takes the basic Unix CLI approach to mail handling.

> and frankly, so far I didn't find any MUA that I would like...

I currently rather like exmh as a primary MH interface.  I've been
playing with the new versions of MH-E and they're getting to be quite
nice.

> I guess the mutt's motto is at least partially right (all MUAs
> suck...). that's the reason I hate being locked in one MUA - I want
> independent email processing tools, using each of them to do whatever
> I like with email.

Look into nmh.

> I guess Net:IMAP will be my friend...

<shudder>