[svlug] Change Logs & KBs

Akbar Ahmed akbar_svlug at yahoo.com
Thu May 30 00:17:30 PDT 2002

Hi all,

I am about to setup a new development team and have
run into the issue of planning for Change Log(ie.
tracking changes to config files, packages, etc.) and
Knowledge Base systems. I'm looking for open source
solutions.

I setup my current change log system using cvs and
ssh. The directories in cvs are setup in a server ->
application style directory hierarchy. However, I have
only used this setup with under 10 admins.

Is cvs a good tool to use for 20 or so admins who will
control up to 100 servers, or is there a better
program? I have been searching the web for the past
several months, but so far I haven't found a good "out
of the box" solution.

As for Knowledge Bases (KB), I have a similar problem.
There are approx. 40 total developers who will be
gathering, researching, and developing various parts
of Linux and developing apps for Linux. We are looking
for a KB that is useful internally for reference, but
we would also like to easily be able to convert our KB
into a distributable format.

Which open source Knowledge Bases have proven
themselves as useful in a medium sized (40 person)
environment? Again, I've done some research on KB's
but haven't run across one that I found particularly
compelling.

Thanks in advance,
Akbar