[svlug] mail client

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 29 00:34:59 PDT 2002

on Tue, May 28, 2002, Aaron T Porter (atporter at primate.net) wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:37:52AM +0300, Ira Abramov wrote:
> > if I was to compress all my old stuff, I'd save 150 megs. not a lot at
> > all, considering I have gigs upon gigs of space, and open mboxes allow
> > me to grep through them with various tools, which is why I keep this
> > stuff around in the first place. I'm sticking to uncompressed mail :)
>
> 	And what do you poke around with that doesn't handle gziped data?
> zgrep, zless, zcat, etc are your friends -- though I prefer bzgrep &c.

    $ man lesspipe

The .doc preprocessor is way slick.

In a related vein, there are invocation methods which allow viewing
(reasonably simple) Excel spreadsheets as text in mutt.

While Ivana may feel that beautiful hair is the best revenge, I far
prefer the smug satisfaction of returning an updated Word document as an
ASCII file.

Peace.

   The best damned coffee on the planet:
     Graffeo Coffee, 735 Columbus Ave., San Francisco, California, USA, Earth
       http://www.graffeo.com/