[svlug] Parallel port issues

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun May 26 00:59:27 PDT 2002

Running 2.4.18 I've built a kernel to support the parallel port, getting
the following message on boot:

  May 26 00:33:50 src at dingo parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP]
  May 26 00:33:50 src at dingo parport0: Legacy device

However, once booted if I try and access /dev/lp0 or /dev/par0 I get
"device doesn't exist".  I've verified that the major and minor values
on the device nodes are correct, as well as filesystem permissions.

Poking about /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/ suggests that the parallel
port is alive and well.  At least
/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe reports:

  # cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe
  MODEL:IBM LaserPrinter 4039;
  MANUFACTURER:Lexmark International;
  COMMAND SET:PCL5 Language,PostScript Language;

Which is the device connected to the parallel port.

However /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/irq returns "-1", which seems
suspicious.

Ideas on getting it working?

--
J C Lawrence