[svlug] (no subject)

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Fri May 24 14:45:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 02:15:15PM -0700, Sanatan Rai wrote:

> : I am new to Linux and just completed installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 on my Dell
> : Inspiron 8000 Laptop
> : Dual boot with windows 2000 and Linux. I have a couple of issues here.
> : 1)While installing Linux I opted for Lilo software for dual boot but Linux
> : is not coming up. By defaault windows comes up.
> : Now I am using boot floopy to bring up Linux.
> : I would like to know from you experts as to how I can bring up Linux with
> : out using boot floopy. I would like to have a system that asks me while
>
> 	Did you install Linux first? If you did then that is why, because
> Windows writes over the master boot record (mbr). At this point, you are
> better off reinstalling rather than trying to fix the mbr yourself.

Come on. Reinstall! Don't do that.

> 	On the other hand, if you installed Linux second, then this
> behaviour is strange. Do you see a LILO boot prompt when your system comes
> up? If LILO was installed properly, then you should see somthing like:
>
> 	LILO...

Install Grub which you should on the first place since it's better than
Lilo. Grub will let you select either OS during bootup or boot into
default whatever that is. Grub config looks like this:

/boot/grub/grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 $1$ÆÏZöËÄLÙ$xHiowEmEiNajDDndhMZWK/
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10smp)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10smp ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10smp.img
title Red Hat Linux-up (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img

I don't know what exactly goes in there for the proprietary sickly OS so
you need to consult man pages or HOW-TO.

> 	You have to configure it properly by hand. Don't expect any help
> from your ISP. Take a look at:
>
> 	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/
>
> for a detailed discussion on how to configure network to use DSL.

Use RedHat's Control-panel. In general, if you don't know what needs to be
done manualy to get someting working try poking around GUI stuff and then
learn what it does to achieve desired results.

> : 3)I downloaded Red hat Linux from Internet and there are three disks. I
> : copied them to three CD's. Now while installing the system has installed
> : only two(first two) CD's and it did not ask for the third one. I would like
> : to know what is third one. I mean as to what it contains.
>
> 	I don't know. Why don't you browse?

Need to mount the disk first. In most cases
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

works. If you installed everything then automounter mounts CDs
automaticaly. Look for directory RPMS and see what's in there. File names
tell you in most cases what the rpm package is about.

> --Sanatan
>
> --
> Sanatan Rai,                      | E.-mail: sanat at stanford.edu
> Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 100 N. Whisman Road 4316,
> Stanford University,              |       Mountain View, Ca 94043.
> Stanford, Ca 94305.               | 'phone: (650) 964 0220 (R)
> EMail: sanat at stanford.edu                   (650) 736 2109 (O)

Good luck,

--
Rafael