[svlug] letters@sjmercury.com

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Mon May 20 17:08:27 PDT 2002

That article is just a PR for the dark side. Written by Robert Holleyman,
CEO of Business Software Alliance appears to be biased towards DMCA. Not
surprizing [1]

"Since the DMCA was enacted, the number of Americans on the Internet has
nearly doubled, from 70 million people to 137 million. The copyright
industry has expanded at a rate of 10 percent each year. And last year,
copyright industries contributed $535 billion dollars to the U.S. economy.
That's more than 5 percent of the Gross Domestic Product."

According to Robert Holleyman, DMCA made it possible for "copyright
industry" to expand. Huh?  I know steel, semiconductor, space, food, and
music industry. What's "copyright industry"? Patented books, programs,
songs? I'm not an expert in English language but can somebody explain
"copyright industry" to me?

Otherwise I have a few buckets of copyright to sell. Any takers or should
I try Ebay?

"BSA members include Adobe, Apple Computer, Autodesk, Bentley Systems,
Borland, CNC Software/Mastercam, Dell, Entrust, Hewlett Packard, IBM,
Intel, Intuit, Macromedia, Microsoft, Network Associates, Novell, Sybase,
Symantec and Unigraphics Solutions (EDS)."

Interesting bunch. I don't see Sun Microsystems, SGI, and other similar
platforms. No mention of OSS either.

[1]  BSA Applauds DMCA Ruling
http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases//2002-05-09.1086.phtml

>From Whois
Business Software Alliance (BSA2-DOM)
   1150 18th St NW Suite 700
   Washington, DC 20036
   US

seems to be, among other things a lobbying group of some kind positioned
conveniently in WDC. This software police is all over the world. Who's
financing it? Not hard to guess. I'm surprized they don't have a seat at
UN.

With http://www.bsa.org/usa/freetools BSA was strongly advertizing some
time back in Silican Valley as well as in NY described here
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02324.html

More interesting reading:
http://swpat.ffii.org/players/bsa/index.en.html

--