[svlug] Pronunciation of cron

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed May 15 20:30:10 PDT 2002

William Black writes:
>As such, IANAET (I am not an English Teacher), but I
>seem to recall that the rule is that vowels are
>pronounced short if followed by one consonant and long
>if followed by two (then there's the double-vowel
>rules and a bunch of others, plus the exceptions).
>Then again, I may be full of crap.

I agree.  "lybe" for "lib" would seem to break that rule.  The point
is whether you think of it as just a shortcut for a longer word
("library" is pronounced that way) or as a word by itself.

And "g" is usually soft if followed by "i" or "e", as in "gif"....

>I guess it really doesn't matter, I'm just taking
>stabs as to why things are the way they are.  IME 80+%
>of all UN*X admins I know pronounce it "krahn."  I
>don't know that it's proper necessarily, but it is de
>facto.  I'm just trying to explain why.

Personally, I don't think I've heard anyone pronounce it anything but
"cron", actually.

--Bill.