[svlug] Red Hat 7.2 Sick System

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Tue May 14 15:51:09 PDT 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 03:40:44PM -0700, Drew Bertola wrote:

> > ...If you're bent on using RedHat, make sure you keep up to date
> > with their patches and errata, there's a ton of them for RedHat 7.2...
>
> Could you elaborate on why other Linux distros would have any fewer
> security related errata than Red Hat 7.2?

	The number of bugs is nearly the same (though not exactly as
distributions do tend to make some local modifications), but the
methodology by which they are fixed is quite different. As a Debian Bigot,
I'm quite partial to the install only the bare minimum of what's needed
and `apt-get upgrade` frequently lifestyle. My stock webserver install is
about 65mb. While this is definately possible under RedHat, it's a lot
harder -- RedHat makes it insanely easy to install the kitchen sink.
Installing fewer applications by default and providing a quick and
reliable method to upgrade the installed apps leads to a more secure
system. A properly administered RedHat box is just as secure as a properly
administered Debian, SuSE, Mandrake, YellowDog, or whatever other Linux
distro system; it is my opinion however, that debian makes it easier to
admin the system properly.

> I guess you might be recommending DOS 3.2 or so since there probably
> are very few opportunities to remotely crack such a system.

	I'd probably send him to the last version of SCO Network Server
that I had to work with. Their idea of a "Network Server" was support for
serial terminals, TCP/IP was an "Enterprise" add-on package.