[svlug] Request for projects ;-)

Jonathan Cobb jonathan at hardcorejon.com
Tue May 14 12:38:12 PDT 2002

I'm working on something called OPENdj.

It's a distributed public-access Internet radio station.  I had started
an Internet radio station, and then decided that since I could not
broadcast 24/7 that I should develop a system whereby other people could
sign up for time slots and use my fast uplink to broadcast.  All the
broadcaster's need is a 56k modem to relay their signal to me.  The idea
is that anyone can broadcast to the world, from anywhere in the world,
with just a modem.

OPENdj is built on top of Linux, Apache, Tomcat, Icecast, and PostgreSQL
and is (of course) open source software.

It's got lots of cool features - all broadcasts are automatically
archived, listeners can talk to the DJ in via text chat, the DJ gets a
readout of how many listeners are tuned in, etc, etc.

The current incarnation is at http://opendj.com/
The project site is at http://opendj.org/

Check it out and tell me what you think :)

   - jonathan.