[svlug] questions about Linux company acquisition

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jul 30 09:51:52 PDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
Ian Kluft <ikluft at thunder.sbay.org> wrote:

> When you guys are all done chewing on Red Hat, here's another friend
> of the Linux community for you to devour...
> http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/02/07/29/1247239.shtml

1) I know AYR networks fairly well.  Interviewed there a while back,
know several people, etc.

2) They were funded by Cisco.

3) The contract under which AYR were funded by Cisco gave Cisco the
right to bring AYR back into the AYR at a stated future date for for a
$$$ that was constrained (top and bottom) within the contract.

4) AYR was populated almost entirely by Ex-Cisco-ites.

5) The $$$ numbers set in the contract were written in the good old days
of high valuations.

6) If Cisco wanted to recoup their investment, they had little choice
but to buy back at the minimal contract proce (which could very easily
have been $113M).

--
J C Lawrence