[svlug] Re: Debian release cycle

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jul 30 09:46:30 PDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:50:27 +0300
Ira Abramov <lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org> wrote:
> Quoting Marc MERLIN, from the post of Mon, 29 Jul:

>> I wouldn't consider running debian without being on the testing tree
>> (i.e.  2 weeks behind packages that were just built and didn't have
>> major bugs filed against them)

> oh bugger, I thought we've been throught this, and I even quoted AJ on
> the matter, testing/frozen is NOT for production servers.

That's a value decision on your part (and our parts) as SysAdms
responsible for production systems.  I feel more very comfortable with
running /testing on production servers given that I insert my own
staging layer.  But that staging layer isn't unique or caused by the
fact that I'm running /testing -- Its caused by the fact that I'm
responsible for what I install and consider that I better __KNOW__ that
something works before I deploy it, no matter if I follow /stable,
/testing/ or /unstable.

--
J C Lawrence