[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Isaiah Weiner iweiner at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 09:43:51 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 12:09:16AM -0700, Rafael Skodlar,,, wrote:
> > > For that reason I can no longer recommend RH. My message to Redhat is
> > > fix RPM mess and install process or else. And I won't pay for their
> > > expensive "per system support" to get automatic bug fixes which should
> > > be free on the first place.
> >      ^^^^
> > It's all open source.  Take some of your FREE time to fix it.  They
>
> Nonsense. I said specificaly that bug fixes should be free. I bought a
> box with expectation of working code and warranty on bugs for that code.

    They are free.  Please don't overlay your interpretation of something
orthagonal to your problem on bare plain facts.  The bottom line is a very
large number of people don't have a problem with the way things happen.
I'd go so far as to say 'most', where 'most' is the largest group in a
group of groups, in this case all our customers, ever.  Wasn't it Abe
Lincoln that said you can please some of the people all of the time, all of
the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time?

> They could provide a decent tool (something Debian provides for example)
> for automatic access to bug fixes without asking for more money. Instead
> they torture you through ever changing location to errata on their
> website so you can't write a simple script to retrive the code.

    It's been available through http://www.redhat.com/errata at least since
1994ish.  If your script can't handle a Redirect . . . well, I won't go
there.

> I bought the box remember? Marketing guy huh? Sell broken code, charge
> for fixes. Hmm, where else did I see that?

    The service level agreement (SLA) you're entitled to is quite clearly
represented on the _outside_ of the box.  As a consumer, you're free to
check out the SLA (<https://www.redhat.com/support/sla/>) and see if it
suits your needs.

> OK, this horse is dead by now.

    Most of this thread has consisted of an avant-garde camping trip.  You
know, the ones where you starve to death but you have a great time.  "That
was the best, man!  Those were the days, when the shit was _real_."  But
when everyone is gone, *poof* on the big bed, and lounging in business
class.

    Okay, so that was a blatant ripoff from Hank.  But I'm sure the big guy
would understand.

    It's really quite amusing.

--
    - Isaiah