[svlug] Problems with usb visor under Debian Woody

Wayne Earl wayne at qconcepts.net
Tue Jul 30 09:34:51 PDT 2002

I've just migrated my home system from a Red Hat install to Debian, and
I am having a problem communicating with my usb visor that doesn't make
sence to me. Before, the visor was /dev/ttyUSB1, so I am assuming this
continues to be the case now.

Permissions seem correct:
wayne at vimes:~$ ls -al /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout  188,   1 Mar 14 13:54 /dev/ttyUSB1

wayne at vimes:~$ cat /etc/group | grep dialout
dialout:x:20:wayne,root

The kernel knows about the hardware (kernel-image-2.4.18-686 from woody):
wayne at vimes:~$ lspci
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)

The module is loaded into memory:
wayne at vimes:~$ /sbin/lsmod
visor                  10048   0 (unused)
usbserial              17824   0 [visor]
usbcore                48192   0 [visor usbserial]

wayne at vimes:~$ dmesg | grep usb
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Palm 4.0
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clié 3.5
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Clié 4.0

But trying to synk, using either jpilot or pilot-xfer doesn't seem to
work. Attempting to access either /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 doesn't
work.

Previously, I would have to press the sync button before selecting sync
or running pilot-xfer. Under the old Red Hat system, doing this would
generate syslog messages that the visor was now available on
/dev/ttyUSB1 (I can't remember the specific messages). Now, I get no
messages (and no sync).

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Wayne Earl <wayne at qconcepts.net>