[svlug] gentoo 1.2 ebuild error

Rich Bodo rsb at ostel.com
Mon Jul 29 21:04:09 PDT 2002

Don't know the right answer, but here's my experience fwiw.  No joy
with stage 1 on any system here.  No intelligible error messages.
Eventually, I burned a gentoo floppy boot image on a cd, and burned a
seperate stage 3 cd, and between the two got an up to date install.  I
seem to remember that this was the only way to get the latest kernel.
Still compiled pretty much everything from source, which was neat.
Took about two days to download and compile everything.  Gentoo, in
many ways, is the best of BSD and Linux.  However, it is about as
polished as you would expect for a distro it's age.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb at ostel.com | 650-964-4678