[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 29 20:55:38 PDT 2002

Marc MERLIN <marc_news at merlins.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 01:38:26PM -0700, Joe Brenner wrote:
> > You're certainly not the only person to run into problems
> > with RedHat.  I've had a number of gripes with them myself
> > over the past several years... in addition to "RPM hell",
> > I think they have a tendency to push alpha-quality code on
> > newbies, for the sake of claiming a new "feature" before
> > anyone else.
>
> They may have done this here and there, but they'll also
> keep repeating that .0 versions aren't for machines you care
> about.

Linuxconf was hardly restricted to the .0 releases... that's
the worst cruel hoax I can think of that they perpetrated.

Then there was shipping mod_perl as a DSO long before it was
ready.

Then there's the various default window managers,
AnotherLevel, Enlightenment...

(I don't think I've ever run a *.0 release... any problems
I've seen with RH have been in the more "stable" versions.)