[svlug] Re: Debian release cycle

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Mon Jul 29 18:22:08 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 12:50:27AM +0300, Ira Abramov wrote:
> Quoting Marc MERLIN, from the post of Mon, 29 Jul:
>
> > I wouldn't consider  running debian without being on the  testing tree
> > (i.e.  2 weeks  behind packages  that were  just built and  didn't
> > have  major bugs filed against them)
>
> oh bugger, I thought we've been throught this, and I even quoted AJ on

Yep. You probably also remember the part where I didn't agree with you? :)

> the matter, testing/frozen is NOT for production servers. At least that

I have _many_ production servers to prove otherwise :-)
I never got a  machine cracked because of a daemon or  some package that was
exploitable either  (not thta people  didn't try, but  I've kept them  up to
date).

> was true when it was Woody. if the new security update system kicks in
> OK and the security team does start OFFICIALLY filling
> http://security.debian.org/dists/sarge/, that may change. for now I
> would stick to Woody.

You are entitled to your opinion :-)
(of  course, today  woody is  recent enough  that this  whole discussion  is
mostly moot)

Marc