[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jul 28 15:08:39 PDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 14:23:56 -0700
Michael Olds <MikeOlds at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Thanks JC, actually I have had a working install for a while...

Good.

> I make daily progress.)

That's the ticket.  Breaking systems and then finding out what you did
and then fixing them is often the best route forward (if a bit rough on
the ego).  Minimally you get very familiar with doing fresh installs.

> I just chimed in because it was a little gratifying (it eliminated a
> little self-doubt) to see that I was not the only one who seemed to
> see problems at RedHat.

I've previously posted on my doubts on RH's business future, so I'll
leave that there.  Everybody and every field has horror stories.  I've
heard good stuff about RH support and bad.  I suspect the reality is
somewhere in the middle; not quite as horrible as your experience
suggests, and not quite as great as they'd like us to believe.  They'd
be typical in that.

  Good tech support is *hard*.

I left RH for Debian some years back for mostly political reasons (long
story, based on a job) and stayed as I found it the easier system to
administer and maintain, especially if you want to do all your work over
the network (rather than going to the physical box).  But, that's well
covered ground, so just take it as a data point.

...Not that the Debian lists are all that great as support venues either
(flashes of brilliance and acres of drek).

--
J C Lawrence