[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jul 28 13:41:09 PDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 07:32:00 -0700
Michael Olds <MikeOlds at pacbell.net> wrote:

> I am very glad to hear it was likely not entirely my own fault.

> I'm looking into Linux from Scratch.

The initial Linux learning curve can be steep and indigestible.  Not
being able to get a working installation just makes it more so.

As this point I'd strongly suggest going to one of the regular
Installfests.  Bring your box (and monitor), bring a note pad with a
good pen, and bring a willingness to learn very quickly.  You should
leave with a working installation, notes on how it got there, and a good
idea of how to move on out from there.

  Note: What distribution you end up with is going to be a function of
  your preferences and persuasive power and those of whoever you talk to
  at the Installfest.  Don't worry about it.  Once you get up and
  running with some understanding changing distributions is
  comparatively easy.

--
J C Lawrence