[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sun Jul 28 10:44:13 PDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 07:32:00AM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> Point of view: new individual RH7.3 user. I was very gratified to read
> Marc's first post and even moreso the debate that followed, is following.
> Switching from MS I purchased the boxed set 7.2 ($175 with discount), and
> spent one month learning that my hardware wasn't going to work (It was
> compatable with 7.0...the idea that a later version would not be compatible
> with earlier-version hardware was baffling to me). I bought a new box

In RH's defense,  the situation you describe is very  atypical, and overall,
they  are pretty  good about  offering  the best  compatibility and  testing
against a lot of hardware, but they  don't have as many testing resources as
MS does.

> specifically for the RH distribution. Then spent the next 2 months tearing
> my hair out because although the come-on on the box suggested I would get
> install help, what was intended was e-mail and forum suport. That came in

Yeah. It's unfortunate, but true of just about everyone. You don't really
get phone support for that price anymore, from anyone (or just about)

> the form of 24 hour delays and incorrect irrelevant and disinterested
> and continued feeling is that RH is nothing more than a Microsoft wannabe
> and that lack of support was a deliberate policy to force paid support. Then

Eheh,  and  you're saying  that  microsoft  doesn't  do  this? (not  that  I
completley agree with your first statement BTW)

> I upgraded to 7.3 and used rpm to install a few things (the new KDE, Apache,
> Mozilla, and Bind) and have watched as application after application has
> started to malfunction.

Hard to say, but it's obviously working for many other people.

> I'm not saying it wasnt't mostly me, but I am very glad to hear it was
> likely not entirely my own fault.

Your problem and mine really aren't related.

Marc