[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Isaiah Weiner iweiner at redhat.com
Sat Jul 27 21:46:02 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 08:56:56PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> >     I don't see it in bugzilla.  When did you file it?
>
> We both know that's a troll.

    I'm sorry you feel that way.  I was being totally serious.  I
considered replying off-list to more completely convey that, but decided
some of the list members might benefit from the redhatprovides option.

> But to  answer your question, I've  asked RH folks  I know on more  than
> one occasion, and they've  told me that it's not  the job of RPM to  do
> that (in all  fairness, dpkg  on  debian doesn't  do that  either,  but
> they  provide apt-get, so it doesn't matter)

    That's consistent with what I've read.

> The joke is that it needs to connect to Red Hat to do just about
> anything.  I am not really  interested in the service RH sells  and what
> up2date offers on the web server and remote admin side (mind you, I'm not
> saying up2date is useless, or that  one would be silly  to pay RH for the
> service, I'm saying that  I don't  need it  and I  don't  want/need to
> use up2date  to keep  my machines in sync)
>
> up2date will not use my local  resources (well, not without some non
> obvious mods and commands). I haven't spent too much time looking yet,
> but so far,

    So it sounds like you should file a RFE against up2date, then.  I'm
sure Adrian would take it seriously and has probably already thought about
implementing it.

--
    - Isaiah