[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Isaiah Weiner iweiner at redhat.com
Sat Jul 27 21:26:42 PDT 2002

> Oh come now. Are you saying that RH doesn't know that rpm's failure to
> handle dependencies isn't a known issue? It's one of the biggest
> complaints out there!!

    I'm quite simply asking him when he filed the RFE.  He complained about
it, so it's worth asking.

    You seem to think that it's a job rpm should handle, bundling a
packaging system together with an update service.  Well, rpm-4.1 does some
of it.  It's a step in the right direction, anyway, which you might know if
you're paying attention to rpm development.

    Admittedly, I don't; I didn't realize it until today looking through
bugzilla for Marc's nonexistent RFE when I came across some poor soul
demanding the rpm package maintainer close his eyes to the larger picture
and focus solely on a feature which simply is not possible right now.  It's
important to take the past into consideration when contemplating future
architecture changes in any software, lest you create more problems than
those you resolved.

    So one time, bored out of my mind, I asked my friend and coworker on
what I should spend some excess time hacking.  His endearing response is
forever burned into my brain:  "Figure out what pisses you off the most and
fix it."

--
    - Isaiah