[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Rob Walker rob at myinternetplace.net
Sat Jul 27 21:09:24 PDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 20:56, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> >     It's not complete, but try getting the latest up2date client errata nd
> > using the nodownload option.  It should sort out the dependencies and give
> > you a list, which you can use to fund your local package installation.
> > Granted, I haven't actually tried it.  Please do file an RFE in bugzilla if
> > you're that concerned with the feature.
>
> I could look at it, but it looks like I'd be using a hammer on a screw.
> I had resisted looking  at apt-rpm so far since it's  not part of "standard"
> RH, and I was  making an effort to use the "standard"  methods, but it looks
> like it's really the way to go.

Marc,

Please educate me on this, I haven't used RedHat Linux for some time
now.

Are you trying to say that joe random college student (Jason Gunthorpe
in this case) was able to build with apt-get in his _spare time_ what a
big commercial company doesn't have?  Come on now, Redhat certainly has
something like apt-get, don't they?  How in the world is someone
supposed to install kde or xemacs for the first time?  Wouldn't that
take days?

Maybe it is just different goals for different distributions?

Rob