[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Walter Reed wreed at hubinternet.com
Sat Jul 27 20:37:33 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 02:20:50PM -0700, Isaiah Weiner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 02:11:51PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > - rpm still doesn't have the option to auto pull dependencies in obvious
> > cases (i.e rpm -i file.rpm, where all the dependencies are in the same
> > dir)
>
>     I don't see it in bugzilla.  When did you file it?

Oh come now. Are you saying that RH doesn't know that rpm's failure to handle
dependencies isn't a known issue? It's one of the biggest complaints out
there!!  Frankly, it almost seems that RH is holding back on this issue to push
RHN (up2date) which DOES handle dependencies. This is fine, I guess, but it
makes RH a poor choice for Linux if you don't plan on paying (or are not able
to pay) for RHN. The issue Marc points out below for non-paid subscriptions is
proof of this:

> > - up2date is a joke
> >   [root at localhost RPMS]# up2date -i redhat-config-network
> >   Error Message:
> >     Free service limited due to high load, please try again later (server 1001059607)
> >   Error Class Code: 51
>
>     I can understand your frustration, but I'm not sure how it differs from
> a slashdotted website, or an FTP site with too many users, nor how it makes
> the client a "joke."  Maybe some new jargon.

Can you give a list of mirrors to RHN for when this situation arises? Oh. There
are no mirrors? Hmm. This is a problem.... up2date is the only method that
handles dependancies automatically and updates the system automatically.

Debian's package management system handles complete updates and dependency
issues just fine with a local mirror or ANY mirror out there. No special
network or proprietary software needed.

Hey, I can understand RH's desire to make money. That's just fine. RHN is just
fine too for the type of customer that can afford it. Since the rpm tool has
basically taken a back seat to up2date, it pretty much makes up2date and a paid
subscription to RHN "mandatory". This significantly raises the cost of using RH
versus Debian or other linux distros.

I have been using RH for about 3 years now (purchased boxed copies), and had
been a slackware user before that (since around '95.) RH 7.3 is the last
version of RH that I will use. I have become a debian convert mainly due to the
depandency hell issues on RH, with deb replacing RH on 7 out of 8 systems so
far. The reduced bloat is another big reason...

Hey, I have nothing against RH as a company. I appreciate the many things they
have done for the community. I do believe that they have lost sight a little
with what the larger linux community needs and desires on their quest to be
profitable. That's too bad. I wish RH luck, but meanwhile I've found something
that just works better.

 - Walt