[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Fri Jul 26 23:03:18 PDT 2002

Basically, I would say that Red Hat Linux is not worth using at this
point if you're not willing to use RHN.  With RHN, it is really fine,
but without, you're in store for a bunch of hair pulling, for the
reasons you mentioned and others.

I set up RHN so that it pulls through a local proxy (with a large
cache).  I still have to pull rpms from Red Hat, but at least I only do
it once regardless of how many machines need the RPMs.  (This is a bit
tricky.  Not only must you tell it to use a proxy, but you must also
tell it not to use https for package downloads.)