[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jul 26 10:29:55 PDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:04:15 -0700
Karsten M Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> SVLUG's closed to nonsubscribers, most of the Debian lists are open.
> There *is* filtering on the Debian lists (possibly varying coverage by
> list, it's been implemented over the past 6-9 months).  This is to
> allow people to post to the list even if they're not subscribed --
> it's a trade-off.

Err, its last year's trade-off.  Not necessary any more.

Front the list with TMDA with your inbound filter pointed at the list
subscriber base.  Posts from subscribed members go straight thru.  Posts
from non-members get held until they (the poster) confirms that they
really did (mean to) send the mail.

It works quite nicely.

> You're not seeing relays per se, just abuse of list mail.  A spammer
> can't mail to arbitrary destinations, only to a list's subscribers.
> It's a hassle of the 'Net, I maintain a few lists, and even the ones
> that *do* see traffic (there are a couple of mostly dead projects I'm
> still sitting on) see a significant amount of spam -- which yours
> truly, list admin, gets to reject it.

Mailman v2.1 can set auto-discard for such posts.  That's a partial
solution and kills useful posts from non-subscribers and subscribers
posting from different addresses.  Fronting with TMDA allows you to
still let non-subscribed posts thru if the poster gives a little extra
push (no attention required from you).  Damned sweet really.

--
J C Lawrence