[svlug] RH dependencies, not using up2date

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Thu Jul 25 14:11:51 PDT 2002

Ok, so I have to use Red Hat, and basically, all I can say is that in the
3.5 years I haven't touched it, it's not gotten much better.
I've been working with RH 7.3 here

- rpm still doesn't have the option to auto pull dependencies in obvious cases
  (i.e rpm -i file.rpm, where all the dependencies are in the same dir)

- up2date is a joke
  [root at localhost RPMS]# up2date -i redhat-config-network
  Error Message:
    Free service limited due to high load, please try again later (server 1001059607)
  Error Class Code: 51

  I don't need rhn, besides I don't want to be pulling packages from RH,
  I have them on my disk.

  In theory, it does what it need, but I think it's been designed to be hard
  to use without talking to RH.
  If someone has a howto on how to use up2date against a local repository of
  RPMs, I'm listening.

- dependencies still suck.
  [root at localhost RPMS]# rpm -i redhat-config-network-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm gnome-core-1.4.0.4-54.i386.rpm libgnomeprint15-0.35-4.i386.rpm rep-gtk-gnome-0.15-7.i386.rpm gdk-pixbuf-gnome-0.14.0-8.i386.rpm rep-gtk-0.15-7.i386.rpm librep-0.15.1-3.i386.rpm pygnome-libglade-1.4.2-3.i386.rpm pygtk-libglade-0.6.9-3.i386.rpm libglade-0.17-5.i386.rpm sawfish-1.0.1-9.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        libcapplet.so.0   is needed by gnome-core-1.4.0.4-54
        libcapplet.so.0   is needed by sawfish-1.0.1-9

   How  am  I   supposed  to  know  that  libcapplet.so.0   comes  from  the
   control-center package?

- gnorpm doesn't seem to want to compute dependencies for local installs
  gnorpm -i redhat-config-network-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
  tells me I'm missing dependencies
  launching gnorpm and selecting a local package doesn't work any better.

  Now, if I do a web find, it will get those magic RDF files (which probably
  contain the magic dependency to package name info), but for a package with
  many recursive  missing dependencies like redhat-config-network,  it still
  fails (it doesn't realize that control-center has further dependencies

- rpmfind. I've had good luck with this in the past, besides its author,
  Daniel Veillard, is a good friend, but I must be cursed because the version
  that shipped with RH 7.3 doesn't seem to want to work on my system

  [root at localhost RPMS]# rm -rf ~/.rpmfind
  [root at localhost RPMS]# rpmfind -v redhat-config-network
  Host : deepthought.engr.intransa.com, Country: 840, Zones 0 0 0, Continent 1
  Arch : i386, Os : Linux
  Default distribution : Red Hat, Inc.(Red Hat Linux)
          owning 453 of 456 installed packages
  Get http://rpmfind.net/linux/RDF/resources/redhat-config-network.rdf
  Fetching : http://rpmfind.net/linux/RDF/resources/redhat-config-network.rdf to /tmp/fetch6649
  rdfRead /tmp/fetch6649: resource is not wellformed XML
  Cannot install or locate resource redhat-config-network
  Do you want to search it in the catalog? [Y/n] : Y
  Fetching : http://rpmfind.net/linux/RDF/resources/fullIndex.rdf.gz to /tmp/fullIndex.rdf.gz

  Searching the RPM catalog for redhat-config-network ...
  rdfRead /tmp/fullIndex.rdf.gz: resource is not wellformed XML
  Cannot open catalog /tmp/fullIndex.rdf.gz
  [root at localhost RPMS]#

  Besides, I don't really want rpmfind to get packages on the net, I have
  them on my disk.

- I understand there is an apt-rpm, but I don't know if it will work right
  with packages that ship with RH 7.3 (I'm not overly worried about getting
  contrib packages from the web at this point).
  If I should look into this, let me know.

My question is simple:
How can I install  RH packages (not contrib) with the  dependencies in a way
that actually works (and  I want to be able to say where  my packages are, I
don't want to pull them from some random place on the net)

Thanks
Marc