[svlug] No global warming for penguins

Rafael Skodlar,,, raffi at linwin.com
Sat Jul 20 23:26:56 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 10:35:20PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> "Rafael Skodlar,,," wrote:
> >
> > One would think that in economic downturn people would look into low
> > cost alternatives in any business aspect including IT infrastructure.
> > That should be good for Linux but the stock market shows otherwise.
> >
> > So it seems that another Linux company 'bytes' the dust:
> > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-07-19-011-26-NW-BZ-TL
>
>   not confirmed, denied by turbolinux...

I just forwarded the URL from what seem to be reliable source.

> > What a difference 2 years make. What's going to be there to see at the
> > Linux Expo this year? Boxes of old CDs, some Linux ORGs, old memories,
> > and perhaps a hanful of true Unix vendors.
>
>   ? ibm? hp? borland? oracle? everybody seems to be supporting linux

On and off. Not much new there. Big boys will pickup business like that
when it's profitable. The bad thing is that most "linux companies"
dedicated to open source are gone.

> nowadays... not sure who will be on the expo though...

Window shopping crowd mostly.

> > What's left of Linux in general? More and more broken RPMs based on
> > RedHat distribution, and Debian with little or no commercial support.
>
>   look around... linux is everywhere... of all places we just got suse
> approved for mainframes (as corporate standard, 200.000 employees
> company)... etc... hp picked debian as their distro (used in hp)

Of course, they can't use the same distribution as IBM. Would be too
compatible with each other.

> > Penguin is on cold ice again.
>
>   penguins are always on cold ice...

Not true. They do make it to warmer waters every season.

--
Rafael
The Gap Between the Rich and the Poor is Constant.