[svlug] Install IPtables

Ravi Simhambhatla ravi at simhams.com
Thu Jul 18 18:03:32 PDT 2002

Hi Bishop,

Try these out...

1. Did you install the kernel source and headers when you installed RedHat?
If not, you need to do that, if yes - go to step 2.  Try compiling ip
tables.  If it bombs with the same error, go to step 2.

2. cd to /usr/src and type the command 'ls -al' (without quotes).  If you *do
not* see a directory and/or a soft link named linux, that is the problem.
Look at the output from ls -al.  There should be a sub-directory/softlink
created that looks like linux-2.<x> (where <x> is part of the version).  Type
the following command: 'ln -s linux-2.<x> linux' (without quotes) and hit
enter (replace <x> with the correct number you saw in the ls -al output).

3. Compile iptables.

Hope that helps.

Ravi