[svlug] Install IPtables

Bishop bishop at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 18 22:42:22 PDT 2002

Hello all, I installed red hat 7.3 on my linux box at home.
I uninstall iptables from my linux box.  I went to
http://www.iptables.org/downloads.html#1.2.5 to download the current iptable
iptables-1.2.6a.tar.bz2:

After downloading i read the install file. Here' s a brief sample of what
they told me to do.

------ How to install IPtables -------------
FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

0) There may be some outstanding bugfixes or tweaks which are not yet
   in the official kernel.  To look through these, do:
 % make pending-patches KERNEL_DIR=<<where-your-kernel-is>>

   Please note that you have to recompile your kernel and your kernel
modules
   after this step of kernel patching.

1) Next, make the package.
 % make KERNEL_DIR=<<where-your-kernel-is>>

2) Finally, you need to to install the shared libraries, and the binary:
 # make install KERNEL_DIR=<<where-your-kernel-is>>

If you are a developer, you can install the headers, development libraries
and associated development man pages, with:
 # make install-devel

That's it!

----------- end -------------

Well i followed the step they told me but heres what happen . I got a error
message, what am i doing wrong .

# make pending-patches linux-2.4.18-3/=/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3/
Examining kernel in /usr/src/linux
/usr/src/linux doesn't look like a kernel tree to me.
make: *** [pending-patches] Error 1
[root at wbsrv iptables-1.2.6a]#

Well if I'm doing it wrong can someone help me out or show me how to install
it

Thank you