[svlug] Linux on the enterprise...

matt@vazor.com matt at vazor.com
Thu Jul 18 19:25:12 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 07:24:59PM -0400, jsanchez79 at netscape.net wrote:
> What other large well known companies use linux on their network besides
> HPQ, IBM, AMD, and Intel? What distro do they use?

I work for LSI Logic and we're just beginning to look into Linux on x86 for
running our ASIC design tools.  The tool vendors (Synopsys, Cadence, Avanti,
etc) are starting to release binaries for their tools for Linux because they're
seeing a large performance benefit simply because x86 processors are so fast.
Of course we'll still be using Sun servers for the big jobs which require > 3GB
of memory per process, but probably only until Itanic/x86-64 becomes
cheap/mature and we get our toolset ported to these platforms.

We also have a large collection of aging workstations which we pretty much just
use as X terminals now (I have a sparc10 on my desk in such a mode).  My guess
is that all of these will be replaced with fast PCs running Linux in the next
couple years.  We'll always have Windows holdouts in sales and the business end
of things, but for what we do in engineering a Linux workstation just works
really well.

I think Synopsys is qualifying against Redhat.  Cadence I've heard is doing
Suse.  Dunno about the others, but we'll probably start with Redhat here and
see how that works out.

l8r

Matt Billenstein
matt (at) vazor (dot) com