[svlug] Re: Best program and HOW-TO: copy LP to CD

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Thu Jul 18 13:12:41 PDT 2002

Quoting Frank Arnold, from the post of Thu, 18 Jul:

> Well the title says it all.  I have found several old LPs that I want
> to preserve by copying them to CDs. Has anyone had experience

well, I decided to take on this task a few years ago, and I keep putting
it off till I can find a good way to sample the analog output of the
turntable. all the old SB cards I ever had, even 16 bit (and they are
never true 16 bit) input lines had a humm. either the cards were cheap
or the PCI adds noise. the next option is one of those new fancy
sound-bay things where the connectors and A/D converters are far from
the bus, but they are a little expensive.

the next option I'm aiming at is to use my surround reciever, it has
digital line out for DAT decks, so I'll be using a good A/D converter in
my Sony reciever rather than buy a new potentially problematic one from
creative, only I will still need a digital line-in and software to
record it to the disk (to be saved as WAV and burned or compressed to
MP3).

in the meantime, I bumped into this little cutie:
http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/

other sites I simply found by googling:
http://www.xena.uklinux.net/Linux/audio.html
http://www.mp3-howto.com/
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/quality/
http://linux-sxs.org/vinyl.html

finally some non-free M$woodnose programs I doubt I'll need, if
gramophile does the job well:
http://www.droidinfo.com/software/depopper/
http://www.filehungry.com/index.php?action=viewitemdetails&id=631

You said you had a few links you found as well? I'd love to know if
there's something to add to the list above..

--
Phenomenon
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.