[svlug] How to stop X from starting automatically?

nbs nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jul 18 01:25:43 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 04:00:47AM -0400, SB wrote:
> Quoting Daevid Vincent (daevid at daevid.com):
> > I am wondering how to prevent X-windows from starting up when I boot my
> > server. I looked at the run levels and didn't see something obvious. The
>
> Doesnt changing runlevel from 5 to 3 do?

Depends on the distro.  For example, Debain seems to like to run as 2,
whether you get automatic-X-Window or not.

If you have a system that doesn't have separate runlevels (e.g., 3 & 5)
for text or X, look to see if XDM, GDM, KDM or some other alternative,
is being started in (for example) your /etc/rc2.d/ directory.

I use KDE on my Debian box here at home (Gnome on my Debian box at work).

My runlevel is the default shipped with Debain:

  kendrick at amiga:~$ /sbin/runlevel
  N 2

KDM, the KDE Display Manager (the login thing you get when X first comes
up, when it comes up automagically) is started by a script inside
/etc/rc2.d/ ... "S99kdm"

(S for Start, 99 for "do this as one of the last things)

That is, in fact, a symbolic link to "../init.d/kdm" (aka /etc/init.d/kdm),
which is the actual shell script which invokes the KDM process itself
(which happens to be the binary "/usr/bin/kdm").

Whew!  Confused yet!?

Anyway - to disable KDM on my box, I would do:

  $ su -               [ switch to root ]
  Password:            [ enter root password, of course ]

  # cd /etc/rc2.d/     [ go into runlevel 2's directory ]
  # rm S99kdm          [ remove KDM from the startup ]

-- or --

  # mv S99kdm  not.S99kdm    [ simply rename it 'out of the way' ]

Note that deleting it ("rm") is perfectly safe, since it's a symbolic link:

  $ ls -l /etc/rc2.d/S99kdm
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    13 Dec 12  2001 /etc/rc2.d/S99kdm -> ../init.d/kdm

To get it back, you simply make a new symbolic link:

  # cd /etc/rc2.d/
  # ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm     [ make a link to "kdm" in the 'init.d' dir.,
                                     and call it, in this directory, "S99kdm" ]

Now, I haven't really ever disabled/reenabled KDM (or GDM, at work) on my
Debian boxes, so I'm not sure if, after making the change, doing a
"telinit"  (e.g., "/sbin/telinit 2")  would actually DO anything,
since we're already in that runlevel.

You can, however, use the script (either the real one, in "/etc/init.d/",
or the symlink in "/etc/rc2.d/") to start and stop the service:

  # /etc/init.d/kdm stop

-- and --

  # /etc/init.d/kdm start

Anyway - pretty long-winded message.  Sorry.  Enjoy and good luck!

-bill!