[svlug] How to stop X from starting automatically?

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Thu Jul 18 00:52:46 PDT 2002

I am wondering how to prevent X-windows from starting up when I boot my
server. I looked at the run levels and didn't see something obvious. The
machine is mainly just a server for web pages/mysql, so I don't need X
running 80% of the time. When I do, I'll "startx" or something manually.

Is there a GUI that has some button to dissable X from starting. I
thought I saw something like that at one time, but can't find it in
gnome or kde. Or mebbe something as simple as commenting out a line or
moving a file?