[svlug] Routing??

Mike Crecelius mcrecelius at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 22:21:04 PDT 2002

Chris Gippert wrote:

> Hi all
> I cannot connect to anything on the internet although a physical dialup
> connection (modem) has been made.
> I get the following message in my browser:
>
> The requested URL could not be retrieved
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.something.com/
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.something.com
>
> The dnsserver returned:
>
> Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query.
>
> This means that:
>
>  The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
>  Check if the address is correct.
>
> Your cache administrator is root.
> Generated Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:26:35 GMT by smiley.dbs.net
> (Squid/2.4.STABLE6)
> I have added the following lines to the etc/squid/squid.conf file:
> Acl mylan src 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
> http_access allow mylan
> The browser has been configured to use a proxy server at ip address
> 192.168.0.6 and port 3128
>
> I am running BIND 9.2.0-8 under RH7.3. I am able to access the apache test
> page on my intranet by typing in my domain name. I am also able to ping all
> the other machines on my network using their host names.
>
> My firewall is LOKKIT 0.50 which is set to high. Trusted device = eth0
> Allow incoming = WWW(HTTP), SSH, Mail(SMTP).
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination      Gateway       Genmask      Flags  Metric  Ref    User Iface
> 192.168.0.0      *             255.255.255.0 U      0       0       0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0        *             255.0.0.0     U      0       0       0 lo
> default          smiley.dbs.net 0.0.0.0      UG     0       0       0 eth0
>
> My Linux server IP addresses are as follows:
> Network ip: 192.168.0.0
> Netmask:    255.255.255.0
> Host ip:    192.168.0.6
> Gateway:    192.168.0.6
> B/cast ip:  192.168.0.255
>
> After all this I have a functioning intranet with my DNS resolving local
> hosts but no internet. I am locked in my box. This is all getting very
> confusing. Can anyone help?
> Thank you
> Regards
> Chris Gippert.

Hi Chris,
    When I set up my system I also had a problem like this.  I am using kppp
and Red Hat 7.2 with a modem connection to an ISP.  The connection seemed to be
made but I could not ping anything on the internet.  I discovered that all I
had to do is delete my default route like this:
route delete default
before establishing the connection, that would work.  Then a default route
would get created through the ppp inteface.
Mike