[svlug] mystery kernel version number

Tim tim at tetro.net
Wed Jul 17 15:50:23 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 01:24:18AM +0300, Ira Abramov wrote:
> $ uname -v
> #1 SMP Fri Jun 14 12:44:10 IDT 2002
>
> what does the "#1" at the beginning of the string mean?

Appears to be the number of times a particular kernel source tree has
been compiled.  Its 1 on my desktop where I'm still using the stock
Debian woody kernel, and 5 on my laptop where I've changed the kernel
config and recompiled the new kernel a few times.. apparently 5 times.
I see a .version file at the top of that kernel tree, that just contains
the number 5.

  - Tim