[svlug] Routing??

Todd Lyons todd at mrball.net
Wed Jul 17 10:42:02 PDT 2002

Chris Gippert wanted us to know:

>Hi all
>I cannot connect to anything on the internet although a physical dialup
>connection (modem) has been made.

ok, a modem.  but....

>Destination      Gateway       Genmask      Flags  Metric  Ref    User Iface
>192.168.0.0      *             255.255.255.0 U      0       0       0 eth0
>127.0.0.0        *             255.0.0.0     U      0       0       0 lo
>default          smiley.dbs.net 0.0.0.0      UG     0       0       0 eth0

There's not a single line in there that talks about a ppp0 device, which
will be what a modem uses in modern connections (you aren't using slip,
are you?)

In my experience, I avoid a LOT of problems by bringing down the
ethernet connection then doing the dial-up.  Bring the ethernet
connection back up once you disconnect.

If by modem, you meant "cable-modem" or "dsl-modem", then none of what I
wrote above applies to you.
--
Blue skies...	Todd 	Public key: http://www.mrball.net/todd.asc
...and I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious