[svlug] How to restart DHCP

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Wed Jul 17 05:42:41 PDT 2002

Hiya. Sometimes my extrememly annoying ISP (Verizon) likes to just
hijack the IP I've been using with DHCP for no apparent reason. Granted
they use dynamic IP's and won't let me have a static one unless I pay
$200/month for a 'business account'. However, they usually don't change
the IP all that often, mebbe once every other month or so. So for the
most part, I have my DNS TTL set to 15 minutes and I deal with it when
it happens.

Okay, I normally run 'ifconfig' to find out my IP address after a
reboot. However there has to be a better way to tell eth0 to get the new
IP without rebooting. (on windows, I would just do "ipconfig /release"
and "ipconfig /renew", and it all just works real easily like that)

I tried to run "/etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd restart", but that doesn't do
anything. Nor does "start" or "stop". Looking at the script, it seems it
should at least print out some text on the screen (like all other
scripts do in that dir)

This is fairly stock RH7.3 I'm running. What am I missing about this?

The actual script has this in it:

[ -f /usr/sbin/dhcpd ] || exit 0
[ -f /etc/dhcpd.conf ] || exit 0
[ -f /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases ] || exit 0

[root at daevid init.d]# ll /usr/sbin/dhcpd
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        91148 Aug 26  2001 /usr/sbin/dhcpd
[root at daevid init.d]# ll /etc/dhcpd.conf
ls: /etc/dhcpd.conf: No such file or directory
[root at daevid init.d]# ll /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Aug 26  2001
/var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases

So why don't I have "/etc/dhcpd.conf"?
[root at daevid init.d]# locate dhcpd.conf
/usr/share/doc/dhcp-2.0pl5/dhcpd.conf.sample
/usr/share/man/man5/dhcpd.conf.5.gz

I looked at the sample one, and it seems pretty complex -- nothing I
want to just fudge. But all this seems un-necessary, since my machine
does work fine without it. So what *is* being called to set up the DHCP
IP address stuff, since /init.d/dhcpd is clearly exiting.

D.