[svlug] LDAP is a GUI mess.

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Wed Jul 17 05:20:00 PDT 2002

Ahoy there. I have a site with about 30 outlook users feeding on a local
pop3 linux server and a few offsite common contacts. an older admin has
set up openldap so all the clients see a synchronised addressbook, and a
few scripts to wrap add and remove users from the directory and the unix
at the same time. It's time I revamp this old system, and I was thinking
all they need is a pop toaster (and vpopmail/qmail is my favorite), plus
they want some better control on their LDAP tree, and the ability to add
free/busy URL to contact names.

Has anyone got any sugestions for a good GUI? (web, windows or text
based, as gtk/qt/X apps won't do)

What about free/busy in the LDAP, has anyone done that?

Can the clients submit changes directly as vCards through some gateway?
we obviously want to keep a central maintained directory/addressbook
rather than have each client maintain his own out of synch.

Thanks in advance,
Ira.

--
Neither here, nor all there
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.