[svlug] Routing??

Chris Gippert chrisg at intekom.co.za
Wed Jul 17 04:48:50 PDT 2002

Hi all
I cannot connect to anything on the internet although a physical dialup
connection (modem) has been made.
I get the following message in my browser:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.something.com/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.something.com

The dnsserver returned:

Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query.

This means that:

 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is root.
Generated Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:26:35 GMT by smiley.dbs.net
(Squid/2.4.STABLE6)
I have added the following lines to the etc/squid/squid.conf file:
Acl mylan src 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
http_access allow mylan
The browser has been configured to use a proxy server at ip address
192.168.0.6 and port 3128

I am running BIND 9.2.0-8 under RH7.3. I am able to access the apache test
page on my intranet by typing in my domain name. I am also able to ping all
the other machines on my network using their host names.

My firewall is LOKKIT 0.50 which is set to high. Trusted device = eth0
Allow incoming = WWW(HTTP), SSH, Mail(SMTP).

Kernel IP routing table
Destination      Gateway       Genmask      Flags  Metric  Ref    User Iface
192.168.0.0      *             255.255.255.0 U      0       0       0 eth0
127.0.0.0        *             255.0.0.0     U      0       0       0 lo
default          smiley.dbs.net 0.0.0.0      UG     0       0       0 eth0

My Linux server IP addresses are as follows:
Network ip: 192.168.0.0
Netmask:    255.255.255.0
Host ip:    192.168.0.6
Gateway:    192.168.0.6
B/cast ip:  192.168.0.255

After all this I have a functioning intranet with my DNS resolving local
hosts but no internet. I am locked in my box. This is all getting very
confusing. Can anyone help?
Thank you
Regards
Chris Gippert.