[svlug] Box frozen, then won't reboot.

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 14 23:29:01 PDT 2002

on Sun, Jul 14, 2002, Jeremy Zawodny (Jeremy at Zawodny.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 01:34:02AM +0200, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
> >
> > I guess the HD is mostly OK (maybe some fsck required), and either
> > the Ram burned in the excessive heat, or the motherboard prevents
> > proper access to it. Or something else.
> >
> > Trying to boot on a linux BBC on choice 1 (simple boot, no framebuffer)
> > displays the following:
> >
> > ----------------------
> > Partition check:
> >   hda: .... <everything OK here> ...
> > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> > Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0b413bbc
> > current->tss.cr3 = 00101000, %cr3 = 00101000
>
> Yeah, you've got bad ram now.  I had something like that hit a few
> months ago.  I replaced the 512MB DIMM and it was back to normal.  Of
> course, it was Micron/Crucial RAM, so I can get it replaced under
> warranty. :-)

One way to troubleshoot this without yanking DIMMs is to use the MEM=
boot option to restrict memory to a fraction of the total available.
It's quite likely that if memory is your problem, there's a certain
point at which it goes bad.  If your problems are elsewhere (e.g.:
thermal limits exceeded as suggested by Ira), you won't be able to
isolate the problem this way.

My suggestion would be to specify 1/2 your available RAM.  Then
double-and-halve the difference until you isolate the point at which you
do/don't have problems.  You can step through a large space quickly this
way.

E.g.:  256 MiB on board:

  - MEM = 128	OK
  - MEM = 192 ( 128 + (256-128)/2 )   OK
  - MEM = 224   FAIL
  - MEM = 208   ...etc.

...actually, if you can reliably repeat the error at a certain point,
you've almost certainly got bad memory.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux books:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/linux-books.html