[svlug] IPTables on redhat 7.3

Tim tim at tetro.net
Sun Jul 14 20:26:58 PDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 08:16:45PM -0700, Bishop wrote:
> I seen all the service that where starting on boot up. I notice that I had
> ipchains , iptables, and Ip6tables. What I did is turn off all 3 of them (
> ipchains , iptable , and ip6table)
>
> After doing that I reboot my Linux box. Everything went fine, but when I did
> a iptable -L it showed me a

> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> I thought once I turn it off I would not see none of this? I'm a little
> confuses how a firewall and iptable work..

That is what you see when no rules have been loaded in the filter table.

> I was reading some of the manuals from 7.3 on redhat site.
> It tells me to run a iptables-save...
> that will save my settings for the next time I reboot. It also tells me to
> check the /etc/sysconfig/iptable for the file saved.
> But when I ran the command, I did not see a file called "iptables"

iptables-save will output the current iptables rules and chains and
stuff, in a format that iptables-restore can understand.  The iptables
service that you disabled uses iptables-save to write the rules to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables and uses iptables-restore to restore them from
that file.

> I would really like help on this. I'm new to all this plus I"m very confused
> on all this....

It is confusing at first, but you'll catch on.  If you want to try using
some iptables rules, maybe read some of the docs on the Netfilter site
(the people who wrote iptables).  The site is:

  http://netfilter.samba.org

  - Tim