[svlug] IPTables on redhat 7.3

Bishop bishop at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 14 20:16:45 PDT 2002

Hello all,

    I'm new to this mail group. I have just installed rh 7.3 on my box at
home. My box will be a web server with a static ip address. After
reloading everything I login a single user. I then ran the command below

#chkconfig --list | grep on

I seen all the service that where starting on boot up. I notice that I had
ipchains , iptables, and Ip6tables. What I did is turn off all 3 of them (
ipchains , iptable , and ip6table)

After doing that I reboot my Linux box. Everything went fine, but when I did
a iptable -L it showed me a

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I thought once I turn it off I would not see none of this? I'm a little
confuses how a firewall and iptable work..

Other thing, when I was going threw the setup for the firewall. It ask me
what level of security I wanted. "High" "Medium" "NONE"

Well I choice the "NONE".

I was reading some of the manuals from 7.3 on redhat site.
It tells me to run a iptables-save...
that will save my settings for the next time I reboot. It also tells me to
check the /etc/sysconfig/iptable for the file saved.
But when I ran the command, I did not see a file called "iptables"

I would really like help on this. I'm new to all this plus I"m very confused
on all this....

Thank you all ;-)
Bishop