[svlug] Wireless cards and distance and intervening walls etc

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Jul 14 12:31:02 PDT 2002

Hi,

I have a D-Link 650 card (and PCMCIA adapter card) in a Linux 7.2 machine,
and am operating it in -ap mode successfully.

I also have a couple of windows machines in the house, one has a D-Link
650 card in it, and the other has an SMC wireless card in it.

One machine works reliably, the other doesn't. It does not matter which
machine has the D-Link or SMC card: That is, I have moved them around.
The one that doesn't work reliably will sometimes work, but mostly won't
work, and will often drop packets even when it does work.

The machine that is unreliable has more walls between it and the server,
and there is a bathroom between, but the distance in each case is no more
than 20 meters (~60feet).

Has anyone seen this. If I replaced the server's card with one with an
external aerial, is that more likely to work?

Finally, are there any software tool I can use to check signal strength
that the cards are seeing?

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,