[svlug] ATI Mobility Radeon

Tim tim at tetro.net
Fri Jul 12 22:46:10 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 09:32:38PM -0700, Felipe Leme wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> >4.2.0 from the GATOS project (http://gatos.sf.net/).  It works
> >flawlessly for me at 1024x768 (the max for my XGA display), however
>
> Hmm, I got some problems with such driver (both the version from the
> GATOS project and the one that comes with mandrake).

I should have said it worked flawlessly for everything I use it for.
Which isn't much.  IceWM, xterm, Mozilla, xmms, MPlayer, and Xine.

> - if I switch from the X to a terminal (like ctrl-alt-F6) and then come
> back, the X freezes (and I can't even kill it)

Works for me..  when I switch back to X from the console it displays a
little garbage at the top of the screen and appears to hang for about a
second, but then the garbage disappears and everything is fine.  I'm
using XFree86 4.2.0 and the "experimental 11" release of the GATOS ati.2
drivers.

> - I can't play quake3 (it freezes after a couple of minutes), even
> though I can play tuxracer (which is a good game to test if OpenGL works).

I don't play games much anymore but, just to see if I can get it to
work, is it free to download or do you have to buy it?  I have a friend
who bought it and I think mentioned playing it on Linux, so I could ask
to borrow it if it isn't free.

> If I use the kernel driver (radeon.o), the first console switch works
> fine, but then I lose openGL support.

Try the drm-kernel modules from the GATOS project, since they're more up
to date than the ones included with the kernel.

If it still doesn't work, you can try the "stable development" branch
from CVS.  You'll have to have compiled XFree86 from source, or maybe
you just need the source code unpacked somewhere where you can point
xmkmf to.

> I don't have TV-out, but the extra VGA cable worked flawlessly too, even
>  on a projector. I don't know about the S-video, as I don't have a TV
> that has that input :(

I don't either, but I bought an S-Video to RCA adapter.  I got mine from
Dell for the outrageous price of $9.99 (they really kill you on the
accessories) for this simple adapter which they call an "S-Video Cable".

> PS: my card is the Radeon Mobility M6-P

I'm not sure exactly what mine is.  Here are a few lines from my
/var/log/XFree86.0.log:

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/27, 0xfcff0000/16, I/O @ 0xc000/8

(--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility LY (AGP) found

(--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon Mobility LY (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x4c59)

(II) RADEON(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI MOBILITY RADEON
(II) RADEON(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
(II) RADEON(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
(II) RADEON(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: R100
(II) RADEON(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00

  - Tim